Sunday, February 5, 2012

Socks rocked.

Hey you guys.
So, the first Ghost Light After Party happened two weeks ago. I'm gonna write about it. For those of you who were fortunate enough to be there, and for those of you who are unfortunate enough to possess such poor taste that you did not attend.
I mean that lovingly and jokingly. Matt Shofner gave me a lecture over steamed cauliflower and Fighting Cock about how I needed to behave myself. "Be nice, Audra" was the thrust of the lecture.
Speaking of Matt Shofner. He was awesome as a host. He's pretty awesome in general. Robyn O'Neill even gave him an unprovoked sterling review. And she's kind of a big deal.
Let's see. Who was there. Well, MOST importantly, Janine Serresseque. Oh. and Ben Hill. He's the most popular bartender in Richmond, VA and who knows where else. He is GOOD AT IT. And many girls like to lean on the bar while asking for extra ketchup. Even if leaning is really not called for. You feel me?
Matt kicked things off by- well hold on. Personally I feel as though I kicked things off by lighting upwards of seventy million tea lights with one of those cool lighter stick things. I even went so far as to save Tom McGranahan's daughter from sitting in one. See Matt? I'm a kind, generous soul.
Tom McGranahan was there as well. I just adore him. I think we all do. I squatted by his chair and he told me gruff and crotchety jokes until it was TIME. Then Matt Shofner got up and sang "Waiting for Life" from "Once On This Island." Matt does not know the words to this. I did not know the words to the song I sang directly following. But we have universally established that this is so not a problem.
The incomparable (it bothers me how that word is spelled vs. how it is pronounced) Sandy Elizabeth (I have no idea if that's her middle name) Dacus was womaning the keys. We all love her. She is splendid. I had the honor of being her page turner. An honor Richard Koch (who WAS NOT THERE, RICHARD) has afforded me several times in the past. Margaret Roop elegantly took the stage wearing a mini by Target. She did not fall down at all. Even though there were a lot of steps and she has some really long legs. Margaret (known to the masses as Maggie) explained the rules of Musical Theatre Mad Libs.
Ben Hill was tending bar. Which, we've established, he's good at. The bar made a killing. Due in part to Sevita's amazing cosmopolitans. I didn't have one, but everyone said they were amazing. I asked why they were amazing. No one knew the answer to that. But, good work Sevita.
**I should preface this all by saying that I broke the piano thirty minutes before the show started.**
We had several lovely new people none of us had ever seen before show up who could SANG. A lovely blond girl sang the late Etta James' "At Last" and elated all of us. We had a very adventuresome young gentleman who was described at different times in the evening in different places by Hannah Zold and Janine Serresseque as being a "super-sized" Joseph Papa. Was just like Joseph- with lots of steroids and magnifying glasses.
Other luminaries that graced the evening were BC Maupin, Evan Nasteff- who didn't bring my day-glo orange hat with a deer head on it but WHATEVER- Durron Tyre, Sarah Pruden, Adam Dorland, oh the list goes on.
Carol Piersol sat in the front row with Bill Patton. Carol really enjoyed BC's rendition of something or the other from "Little Shop of  Horrors."
During one of my elegant crosses to the bathroom, Bill P. pulled me aside and asked me if he thought Matt Shofner would teach him to sing. He asked me this, I believe, because he knows what will make an entertaining moment, and is willing to contribute himself to make it happen. I told him that I was sure Matt wouldn't mind. Next thing any of us know, Bill has stormed the stage- he remained graciously just downstage of Matt so as not to upstage the leader, what a gent- and proposed that Matt teach him to sing some Lady Gaga. Matt does so. Needless to say, plans are in the works for a fully costumed rendition of "Bad Romance" to be performed by Bill Patton at an upcoming Ghost Light After Party. Personally, I hope it's gonna be that red pantsuit costume thing that makes her look like a blind lobster crayon. I think it'd be real becoming on Bill.
Tonight is the next Ghost Light After Party. It will be Super Bowl themed. I don't care about that so much, I just want Cheetos. And, the divinely voiced Aly Wepplo will be the Special Guest. Which will be awesome.
So really, you should all attend this shindig. I was considering wearing a tight black dress tonight, but then I ate like, two and a half pizzas last night, so I will surely be more comfortable in, oh, anything else. Like ponchos. Or tuna fish.
I hope to see you there. If I don't- you might get scathed in the next Ghost Post.

1 comment: